Saturday, November 27, 2010

Tammy

The movie we watched this week in class featured a segment where a woman named Tammy was interviewed. We learned that she lives in a trailer with her four kids, doesn't own a car, and walks 10 miles to her job at a Burger King. I felt really bad for Tammy and her family. To me it seems like Tammy is trying so hard to make something of herself, but she's not really succeeding. That's kind of a difficult concept for me to understand because I've always been told that if you try hard enough, you'll be able to achieve anything. Apparently that doesn't apply to everybody. I don't know if Tammy will ever be able to achieve her dream of being a school teacher. Her kids have a better chance at achieveing their goals, but it will still be very difficult for them. Even if the kids succeed in moving up to a higher class, they will still be known as the outsiders. They won't truly belong. I think the son will be able to achieve his goals. He, unlike Tammy, doesn't really have anything holding him back. He doesn't have to care for others, he only has to worry about himself, which makes it easier for him to move up a social class.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it was weird and sad seeing someone try so hard and not really getting anywhere. In the middle class, this principle basically applies, but in the lower-class it is much harder for them.

    ReplyDelete