Thursday, December 16, 2010

CRASH

Crash was such a good movie. Unlike so many other movies, Crash had a message and there was something to be learned from the film. It really is a piece of art. One part of the movie that I noticed especially was the relationship between Shaniqua Johnson, the cop, and the rest of society. Toward the beginning of the movie, the cop got into an argument with Shaniqua. He implied that she was an outsider, saying things like "your people." I feel like he's implying that African Americans aren't a part of the predominantly white society in America. In this scene you can see the racial tension that exists, and how differently the two races treat one another. However, at the end of the movie a Hispanic man crashes into Shaniqua's car. She starts yelling at him and when he tries to respond (with an accent) she tells him that this is America and we speak English here. I thought it was ironic that somebody who is treated like an outsider will go and treat others the same way. It's like an endless circle. You'd think that somebody who understands what it's like to be treated that way would try to stop it, not promote it. I thought this contrast brought the movie full circle. It connects everybody in that each character in the movie committed an act of racism, implicit or explicit. I think that we can take a lesson from this movie and try to stop the endless circling of racism. Even at our school you see that the different races tend to separate themselves. Racism does not benefit our society in any way, so we should all that we can to stop it.

4 comments:

  1. This is exactly what the movie was trying to say. It was showing society that because of all the racial prejudice and hate that is out there, even the group who are discriminated against have become racist because they feel the need to retaliate for how they were treated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that racism does not benefit our society. When you see a group that is all one "race" except for one person, we all judge that person. It seems weird. I think we need "race" to go away as well. I think it would make America that much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this film is quite the work of art it has something most films today don't, a good story, anyway I also thought that it was interesting how someone who was seen as an outsider did the same to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Crash was a good film and did show how racist people can be in society. Racism does not benefit our society and you are right we need to change and stop racism.

    ReplyDelete