Thursday, September 9, 2010

Gang Leader for A Day

In the novel, Gang Leader for A Day, the author sets out to study how it feels to be black and poor. After realizing that asking the residents of these neighberhoods general interview question wasn't working, the author decided it'd be better to  hang out with the gangs in order to understand them better. Quantitative surveying is important when gathering data, but qualitative surverying allows sociologists to experience firsthand whatever it is they're studying. This is how the author of Gang Leader for A Day gathered most of his research. By spending time with the gang, the author made himself seem more relatable to them. Asking interview questions distanced himself from the people he was trying to study. The first approach the author used clearly set himself apart from the gangs. The second approach, however, allowed the author to be a part of the gang, which in turn gave him more information on their lives than interview questions ever would. If someone wanted to study our school, they should look at quantitative data like drop-out rate and percent of students who go on to college. They should also gather some qualitative data by speaking with students about the school. In addition to speaking to students, you might want to speak with some other groups, like the teachers. What is their opinion of the school? What kind of students go there? These different types of gathering information are playing very important roles in my life right now. I'm in the process of applying to colleges and in order to decide which school is best for me I'm looking not only at quantitative data, (rank of the school, percent that get employed after graduation) but I'm also looking at qualitative data (talking to students who go to the school, visiting the campus).

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree that qualitative surveying is way more important for gathering data about a certain group of people. The one guy actually laughed in the author's face when he looked at the survey questions on the piece of paper. I think that it wasn't necessarily a conscious decision by the author to spend time with the gang in the stairwell of the building, but once he noticed it was getting him father in the studying of them, he stuck with it.
    I know exactly what you mean with the college searching process. I am first looking at what the schools have to offer on paper, but I will only choose a school if I like it from the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that in order to really get a good study of a group of people, you have to do a mix of qualitative and quantitative surveying. I like how you compared it to applying to colleges, that is very similar, and I didn't even think about that until you wrote that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that by the author qualitative surveying, he really got a better understanding of the gang members and their lives. I think that you are right about the college process you have to look at both quantitative and qualitative data to find the best fit for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you - I also think going there and trying to picture yourself there is a good way of judging the school. Can you see yourself there? But - I also want to emphasize that there is not a right or wrong choice for school or a best and worst choice, there are simply different choices and each school will have challenges and rewards for you. And, ultimately your school experience will be determined by what you make of it.

    ReplyDelete