Thursday, September 30, 2010

American Culture

This week in class, we've been studying culture. More specifically, American Culture. We dicussed whether or not America had its own unique culture, or if it was more a mix of all the cultures living in America. We used what we had learned in the previous week about culture (norms, folkways, mores) to prove whether or not we thought America had its own distinct culture. I believe that America doesn't really have its own culture. There are too many people living in this country that come from different cultures, there's no way that all of these cultures could mesh into one. Even in different regions of the U.S, we have different cultures. The South has a lot of different values than the North. We don't even speak with the same accents. The other day, we read an article that stated America has 13 aspects that make up its culture and that every American abided by those values. While reading the article, I found that I had some similar values as the article stated, but I didn't value all of the things the article mentioned. Your values really depend on what your cultural background is and since this is a country of immigrants each person has a different set of values.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that we don't exactly have our own culture because there are too many other people here. We are a cultural melting pot, which I think is the coolest part of America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you elaborate on the values that you find different? How is your life a contradiction to those? Is this a product of your living with a different culture within American culture?

    ReplyDelete