Thursday, October 21, 2010

Giving Back to the Community

In soc we've had this ongoing project of community service. When it was first assigned I though it was gonna be just another project and that I should get it done with as soon as possible just so I wouldn't have to worry about it later. I finally found a place where I could volunteer and after spending almost two weeks turning in forms I was finally ready to actually start volunteering. I chose to volunteer at Condell Hospital. I hadn't realized how seriously the hospital took volunteering. I had to sign patient privacy forms and I also had to get a TB shot. The entire time I kept thinking all this trouble better be worth it. Well, I volunteered for the first time on Monday and it was definitely worth all the trouble I had to go through. I worked at the front desk, which is part of the guest services department. My main job was to sign in visitors and show them the way to the patient's room, but I also had to deliver flowers and cards, deliver mail to certain departments, and show patients to their rooms after they had registered. The patients who had just registered into the hospital had different responses to me. Some tried to start a conversation, while others were quiet. I remember one of the patients I helped, who was older, tried to give me advice about how life is. He told me to live life to the fullest because it flies by. Volunteering was a great experience and I'm excited to come back again.

1 comment: