Thursday, October 7, 2010

What's Wrong With Doing Nothing??

We've recently been discussing how Americans don't accept doing nothing. Every moment of your day has to be filled with activity. It's socially unacceptable to do nothing. When I tried doing nothing, I did it at school when I was sitting with all my friends. Because I was sitting with my friends, nobody really noticed that I was doing nothing. It just looked like I was following along with the conversation going on between the people I was sitting with. While I didn't really experience the social stigmatism of doing nothing, I did have the chance to reflect on what was going on around me. People are kind of set on auto-pilot. They just do what they do without really thinking about it. Sometimes it's nice to step back and really consider where you're headed. Are you doing something because it's what everyone else is doing and because it's socially accepted or are you doing something because it's what you actually want to do. A lot of people go through their lives without asking themselves that question. I think this connects a lot to the movie we watched in class, Tuesdays With Morrie. I think Morrie would agree that people don't really pay attention to what's going on around them. They don't stop to enjoy the simple things, but the simple things in life are what bring you the most pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. Good insights. I wonder what the Un-TV will reveal to you?

    ReplyDelete