Thursday, December 9, 2010
Race
So this week in class we've been discussing how race doesn't actually exist biologically or scientifically. There's nothing in our genes that determines our race. Society has made up this idea called "race." Skin color was determined by where you lived. If you lived near the equator, you had dark skin. If you lived up North, you had light skin. The problem with race is that people will automatically stereotype someone based on the color of their skin. When a person doesn't act like their race is 'supposed to', they are considered outsiders. People can't be defined by the color of their skin. Take Barack Obama for example. People refer to him as our country's First Black President, but he's just as much white as he is black. Skin color is merely a physical characteristic and shouldn't be used to define somebody. However, it's very difficult to avoid doing so. I can relate this to my life by looking past someone's skin color when I first meet them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When people get to know me they usually say things like, "OMG, you're so not asian at all." I mean, it's not really offensive or anything but I just find it weird that there's a specific way that people expect Asian people to act.
ReplyDelete