Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Social Class and Mobility
Playing Monopoly following the rules of the U.S class system was interesting. It supported the idea of people generally not moving up (or down) in social class that we've been talking about in class for the past few weeks. I understand that it might be really difficult to move up in social class, but I don't think it's impossible. My family and I immigrated to America when I was five years old. We didn't come from a background of wealthy people, so we basically started off with nothing. We lived in a small apartment in the city for about two years, but then we were able to move into the suburbs. Now we live an upper middle class lifestyle. I've never been able to understand how people who were born in this country and had way more advantages than my family did aren't able to move up in social class. Maybe my family is just the exception? I'm really not sure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
wow! that such a crazy clurture shock , but i think you guys are lucking to make such a nice jump. some poeple arent as lucky as us to get to do that.
ReplyDeleteThat's really interesting. Maybe your family is the exception or maybe immigration is a different case. Maybe the people who can't move up really have nowhere to start whereas you had a fresh start? I'm not sure either, but that's cool.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you. When we were having this discussion in math class, I began to realize that people who have been in America way longer than your family (even generations longer) are not able to move up in class but your family did it in a number of years.
ReplyDelete